Other Open Access
Tinch, R; Armstrong, C; Grehan, A; Foley, N; Yeboah, IA; Hynes, S; Callery, O; Johnson, D
• The identification of services, in particular their values and conflict areas, is important for marine/
maritime spatial planning (MSP).
• Monetary valuation for improving decision making is promoted by global and EU policies.
• Ecosystem valuation should be an integral part of marine management decision models and can
encourage investment and Blue Growth.
• Valuation could have additional specific uses in deep-sea contexts where governance structures are
weak or incomplete.
• Changes in well-being for different stakeholder groups, as expressed by economic valuation, can
feed into MSP.
• The EU ATLAS project has undertaken a spatial assessment of the relative values of 12 ecosystem
services in selected case study areas.