OstData is designed as a central service for multi- and interdisciplinary research data in the field of Central, Eastern, and Southeastern European Studies. It is established by five German Research Institutions with considerable experience in the area:
- the Bavarian State Library (BSB) in Munich
- the Collegium Carolinum - Research Institute for the History of the Czech Lands and Slovakia (CC) in Munich
- the Leibniz Institute for the History and Culture of Eastern Europe (GWZO) in Leipzig
- the Herder-Institute for Historical Research on East Central Europe (HI) in Marburg
- the Leibniz Institute for East and Southeast European Studies (IOS) in Regensburg
OstData is conceived as a network with a modular interconnected architecture including a central search platform which will allow depositing, archiving and publication of research data as well as their location, reusage and citation by fellow scholars. Additionally, OstData comprises guidance and counselling services for the scientific community in the field of research data management for Central, Eastern, and Southeastern European Studies.