Detecting Rat's Kidney Inflammation Using Real Time Photoacoustic Tomography
Photoacoustic Tomography (PAT) is a promising medical imaging modality that combines optical imaging contrast with the spatial resolution of ultrasound imaging. It can also distinguish the changes in biological features. But, real-time PAT system should be confirmed due to photoacoustic effect for tissue. Thus, we have developed a real-time PAT system using a custom-developed data acquisition board and ultrasound linear probe. To evaluate performance of our system, phantom test was performed. As a result of those experiments, the system showed satisfactory performance and its usefulness has been confirmed. We monitored the degradation of inflammation which induced on the rat’s kidney using real-time PAT.
- Oraevsky A A, Jacques S L, Esenaliev R O, Tittel F K, Time-resolved optoacoustic imaging in layered biological tissues, Advances in Optical Imaging and Photon Migrationed R R Alfano (New York: Academic) pp 161.5, 1994
- Kruger R A, Photo-acoustic ultrasound: pulse production and detection in 0.5% Liposyn, Med. Phys. 21 127.31, 1994
- Kruger R A, Liu P-Y, Fang Y, Thermoacoustic ultrasound (PAUS)-reconstruction tomography, Med. Phys.22 1605.9, 1995
- Oraevsky A A, Esenaliev R O, Jacques S L, Tittel S K, Laser opto-acoustic tomography for medical diagnostics: principles, Proc. SPIE 2976 22.31, 1996
- Hoelen C G A, de Mul F F M, Pongers R, Dekker A, Three-dimensional photoacoustic imaging of blood vessels in tissue, Opt. Lett. 23 648-650, 1998
- A. Oraevsky and A. Karabutov, Optoacoustic tomography, in Biomedical Photonics Handbook, T. Vo-Dinh, CRC, Boca Raton, Ed., Chap. 34, pp. 1-34, 2003.
- L. V. Wang and H. Wu, Ed. Biomedical Optics: Principles and Imaging, John Wiley, 2007.
- Lihong V. Wang, Ed. Photoacoustic Imaging and Spectroscopy, 1st ed., Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2009.
- J. T. Oh, M. L. Li, H. F. Zhang, K. Maslov, G. Stoica, and L. V. Wang, Three-dimensional imaging of skin melaNoma in vivo by dual-wavelength photoacoustic microscopy, J. Biomed. Opt., Vol. 11, No. 3, p. 034032, Nov. 2006.  S. Yang, D. Xing, Q. Zhou, L. Xiang, and Y. Lao, Functional imaging of cerebrovascular activities in small animals using high-resolution photoacoustic tomography, Med. Phys., Vol. 34, No. 8, p. 3294-3301, Aug. 2007  Q. Zhou, X. Ji and D. Xing, Full-field 3D photoacoustic imaging based on plane transducer array and spatial phase-controlled algorithm, Med. Phys. 38(3), 1561 (2011).  J. Gamelin, A. Maurudis, A. Aguirre, F. Huang, P. Guo, L. V. Wang and Q. Zhu, A real-time photoacoustic tomography system for small animals, Optics Express 10489, 17(13), 22 (2009).  V. Moock, C. Garcia-Segundo, E. Garduno, F. Arambula Cosio, J. Jithin, P. van Es, S. Manohar and W. Steenbergen, Signal Processing for Photoacoustic Tomography, IEEE CISP 2012, 957 (2012).  Y. Zhang, Y. Wang, An Improved Filtered Back-Projection Algorithm for Photoacoustic Tomography, IEEE iCBBE 2011, 1 (2011).  T. Oruganti, J. G. Laufer and B. E. Treeby, Vessel filtering of photoacoustic images, Proc. SPIE 8581, 85811W (2013).  J. T. Oh, M. L. Li, H. F. Zhang, K. Maslov, G. Stoica and L. V. Wang, Three-dimensional imaging of skin melanoma in vivo by dual-wavelength photoacoustic microscopy, J. Biomed. Opt. 11(3), 34032 (2006).  S. Manohar, A. Kharine, J. C. van Hespen, W. Steenbergen and T. G. van Leeuwen, The twente photoacoustic mammoscope: system overview and performance, Phys. Med. Biol. 50(11), 2543 (2005).  S. A. Ermilov, R. Gharieb, A. Conjusteau and A. A. Oraevsky, Hybrid optoacoustic and ultrasonic imaging system for detection of prostate malignancies, Proc. SPIE 6856, 68560T (2008).  J. T. Oh, M. L. Li, H. F. Zhang, K. Maslov, G. Stoica, and L. V. Wang, Three-dimensional imaging of skin melaNoma in vivo by dual-wavelength photoacoustic microscopy, J. Biomed. Opt., Vol. 11, No. 3, p. 034032, Nov. 2006.  S. Yang, D. Xing, Q. Zhou, L. Xiang, and Y. Lao, Functional imaging of cerebrovascular activities in small animals using high-resolution photoacoustic tomography, Med. Phys., Vol. 34, No. 8, p. 3294-3301, Aug. 2007  E. Z. Zhang, J. G. Laufer, R. B. Pedley, and P. C. Beard, In vivo high-resolution 3D photoacoustic imaging of superficial vascular anatomy, Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 54, No. 4, p. 1035-1046, Jan. 2009