Journal article Open Access
Abigail Dogbe; Emmanuel Effah; Richard Kofi Annan
The increase in the consumption of electricity both domestically and industrially has necessitated monitoring to understand energy consumption patterns and reduce wastages. Also, with the wide capabilities of mobile technology, data and report can easily be exchanged. With the help of GSM-Module and an Arduino microcontroller, this study presents a prepaid energy meter monitoring system that enables real time remote utility-consumer monitoring of domestic energy usage. This system also curbs the present challenges with meter tampering and guides the consumer to be energy conscious. This system is recommended for policy considerations by utility companies since the deployment of this system can potentially improve operational efficiencies.
Global System for Mobile (GSM) Communication -HBRP Publication.pdf
1. Arun S., Naidu S. Design and Implementation of Automatic Meter Reading System Using GSM, ZIGBEE through GPRS. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering. 2012, 2(5), 321-325p.
2. Daulatkar M.P., Kute G.T., Bageshwar M.R., Atkare A.S. Review on Advance Prepayment Energy Meter using GSM Technology with Alert System. International Conference on Recent Trends in Engineering Science and Technology (ICRTEST 2017). 2017, 5(1), 344-346p.
3. Ebole A.F., Kuyoro S.O., Aremu I. Intelligent GSM Based Prepaid Energy Meter in a Cashless Economy. International Journal of Science and Research. 2016, 5(1), 1816-1822p.
4. Kalaivani R., Gowthami M., Savitha S., et al. GSM based Electricity Theft Identification in Distribution Systems. International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT). 2014, 8(10), 512-516p.
5. Kayaga S., Franceys R., Sansom K. Bill payment behaviour in urban water services in Uganda. An empirical data from Uganda. Journal of Water Supply: Research and Technology-Aqua. 2004, 53(5), 339-349p.
6. Markose B., Meera A., Pranav A.N., et al. Automatic Electricity Billing. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering. 2016, 5(3), 1048-1049p.
7. Mensah J.K.A., Ahegbebu M.K., Asabere. Development of an information and communication technology (ICT)-driven business model for the utility sector. International Journal of Information Journal of Information and Communication Technology Research. 2012, 2(5), 402-428p.
8. Viterbi A.J. Error bounds for convolutional codes and an Asymptotically optimum decoding Algorithm. IEEE Trans. Info, Th, IT-13 April 1967, 260-269p.
9. Mwaura F. Adopting electricity prepayment billing system to reduce nontechnical energy losses in Uganda: Lesson from Rwanda. Utilities Policy. 2012, 23, 72-79p.
10. Omijeh B.O., Ighalo G.I. Modeling of GSM-Based Energy Recharge Scheme for Prepaid Meter. Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. 2013, 4(1), 46-53p.
11. Rastogi S., Sharma M., Varshney P. Internet of Things based Smart Electricity Meters. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2016, 133(8), 13-16p.