Project deliverable Open Access
WP3 Data & Semantics Layer is a core WP of the project. If we have no data, we cannot achieve almost any of the project objectives. Within this WP3, task T3.1 Data Modelling over Big Data Infrastructures has these objectives:
• Explores partner data
• Defines competence questions that the data should be able to answer
• Studies relevant AgroBio ontologies
• defines semantic modelling principles and specific models
• Studies user (researcher) requirements for discovering ontologies, mapping data, aligning data, etc.
• Implements or adopts tools for these requirements
The document has the following structure:
• Chapter 1 Introduction describes fundamental AgroBio data (observations and measurements), outlines the ontological representation of measurements, mentions possible alternatives (e.g. following existing AgroBio patterns vs using the W3C CUBE ontology), describes the steps of semantic data integration, and provides links to consortium resources related to the task.
• Chapter 2 Relevant AgroBio Ontologies outlines the vast number of potentially relevant ontologies and the terms included in them. We provide some metrics (number of terms) and surveys various Ontology Portals and Tools that are available for browsing, finding and using ontologies; and that can also serve as inspiration for developing requirements for tools to be developed/adopted by the project.
• Chapter 3 Improving AgroBio Ontologies describes a variety of problems that we have found in AgroBio ontologies, and the initial steps we have taken to engage with the AgroBio communities to improve the quality of these ontologies. We also show a case of searching for a specific term (NDVI) required by specific partner data in a couple of ontology portals.
• Chapter 4 Specific Project Data discusses specific consortium data (including problems of draft semantic data that will be corrected), data processing requirements and data access requirements.
• Chapter 5 Conclusions provides conclusions, next steps and a bibliography.
Deliverable D3.1 Data Modelling and Linking Components will have 3 iterations at M9, M21, M30. In this first iteration (M9), we describe the first steps taken for the realization of task T3.1. These initial steps were taken to clarify the scope and essential ingredients of the task.
Since the project is early in its life cycle, we do not yet have finalized requirements for the tools to be developed by Task 3.1. Section 1.4 outlines the steps that we intend to follow, and the approximate point that we have reached within these steps.