Suggested measures for deploying IIIF in Swiss cultural heritage institutions (White paper)
This white paper has been written as part of the Towards IIIF-Compliance Knowledge in Switzerland (TICKS) project, conducted at the Haute école de gestion de Genève (HEG-GE) between March 2018 and February 2019, which originated on the acknowledgements that the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) ecosystem was not enough known and deployed in the cultural heritage field in Switzerland.
The white paper starts with the main principles of IIIF, notably indicating the different technical specifications, or application programming interfaces (APIs), produced by the IIIF community as well as the platforms of Swiss projects or institutions that have deployed IIIF. Going from general to specific, a generic IIIF step-by-step graph and six more precise use cases reflecting different needs of the GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Museums) sector giving implementation measures have been produced.
Finally, the document contains recommendations for further action as well as some information on the possible reuse of this document for other regions of the world or for other scientific fields.
||2.4 MB||Preview Download|
||173.8 kB||Preview Download|
||3.5 MB||Preview Download|
- BRUMFIELD LABS, 2017. IIIF Implementation Guide. International Image Interoperability Framework [online]. 3 October 2017. [Accessed 4 May 2019]. Available from: http://iiif.io/assets/acc_implementation_guide_011017.pdf
- FREIRE, Nuno, ISAAC, Antoine, ROBSON, Glen, BROOKS, John and MANGUINHAS, Hugo, 2017. A survey of Web technology for metadata aggregation in cultural heritage. Information Services & Use. October 2017. Vol. 37, no. 4, p. 425–436. DOI 10.3233/ISU-170859.
- FREIRE, Nuno, MEIJERS, Enno, VOORBURG, René and ISAAC, Antoine, 2018. Aggregation of cultural heritage datasets through the Web of Data. Procedia Computer Science. 1 January 2018. Vol. 137, p. 120–126. DOI 10.1016/j.procs.2018.09.012.
- HASKIYA, David, 2017. Benefits of Institutional Adoption: The Europeana perspective. 2017 IIIF Conference [online]. Augustinianum, The Vatican City. 7 June 2017. [Accessed 4 May 2019]. Available from: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ldy8aF7MZfFNR9-frd5oLLOzjfPXR2hebKbJolbM454/
- RABUN, Sheila and ROBSON, Glen, 2017. What is IIIF? [online]. 15 October 2017. [Accessed 9 January 2018]. Available from: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1U3733ZPGtavMFTFxDOzkl80CTXk3V26KSk5eQUlXaBk/
- RAEMY, Julien A., 2018. The uptake of IIIF in Switzerland and the current state of TICKS: building a IIIF-alignment outreach programme. 2018 IIIF Conference [online]. Library of Congress, Washington D.C. 24 May 2018. [Accessed 4 May 2019]. Available from: https://zenodo.org/record/1252084
- RAEMY, Julien A., 2017. The International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF): raising awareness of the user benefits for scholarly editions [online]. Bachelor's thesis. Geneva, Switzerland: Haute école de gestion de Genève. [Accessed 4 May 2019]. Available from: http://doc.rero.ch/record/306498
- REED, Jack and WINGET, Drew, 2017. Introduction to IIIF. GitHub [online]. March 2017. [Accessed 9 January 2018]. Available from: https://iiif.github.io/training/intro-to-iiif/
- RONALLO, Jason, 2019. IIIF Workshop. Preliminary Inventory of Digital Collections: incomplete thoughts on digital libraries [online]. January 2019. [Accessed 4 May 2019]. Available from: http://ronallo.com/iiif-workshop-new/
- SANDERSON, Robert, 2016. IIIF: The Advantages of APIs. Access to the World's Images [online]. Museum of Modern Art, New York. 10 May 2016. [Accessed 4 May 2019]. Available from: http://www.slideshare.net/azaroth42/iiif-the-advantages-of-apis
- SANDERSON, Robert, 2018. Discovery of IIIF Resources. 2018 IIIF Conference [online]. Washington D.C. 24 May 2018. [Accessed 4 May 2019]. Available from: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f4yxihCGRFK9eC9WHIP89ugc7stywoR_/view?usp=sharing
- SNYDMAN, Stuart, SANDERSON, Robert and CRAMER, Tom, 2015. The International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF): A community & technology approach for web-based images. In: Archiving Conference [online]. Los Angeles, CA. May 2015. p. 16–21. [Accessed 4 May 2019]. Available from: https://purl.stanford.edu/df650pk4327
- WARNER, Simeon, 2017. Discovery of IIIF resources. 2017 IIIF Conference [online]. Augustinianum, The Vatican City. 6 June 2017. [Accessed 4 May 2019]. Available from: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/12M_oOwwXtOZLfgAeqkJDwFWaOux_0mdmF6doyjYPSzM/edit
- Digital libraries
- Application program interfaces (Computer software)