Dataset Open Access
Data Package: Exploring the opportunities and challenges of implementing open research strategies within development institutions
DOI for this package: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.844394
Project Description: https://doi.org/10.3897/rio.2.e8880
Data Management Plan: https://doi.org/10.3897/rio.3.e14672
Other Related Documents and Reports: https://riojournal.com/collection/18/
Funder: International Development Research Centre/Centre de rechereches pour le développement international, https://doi.org/10.13039/501100000193
This is the Data Package for the project "Exploring the opportunities and challenges of implementing open research strategies within development institutions" the proposal for which was published as https://doi.org/10.3897/rio.2.e8880. The research project conducted open data pilot case studies with seven IDRC grantees to develop and implement open data management and sharing plans. The results of the case studies served to refine guidelines for the implementation of development research funders’ open research data policies.
The Data Package contains all the public data generated by the project. The package was curated and metadata generated, including an HTML Catalog using the Calcyte Tool (https://codeine.research.uts.edu.au/eresearch/calcyte) developed at University of Technology Sydney.
The project had two major phases:
1. A review, based on desk work and interviews with data management experts
2. Case studies, based on implementing open data practices within seven IDRC funded research projects
The review, published at https://riojournal.com/article/14673/ was supported by desk work and interviews. The materials related to the interviews can be found in the directory:
* Policy and Implementation Review Interviews
Seven IDRC-funded projects were contributed to the pilot project.
The materials generated by the case studies and used to support the final report (to be published with the collection at https://riojournal.com/collection/18/) are found in the following directories.
* Data Management Planning
* SciDataCon Presentations
The files are encoded with a three letter code that identifies the relevant contributing project in each case. The contributing projects were:
* Crowd Sourcing Data to fight Social Crimes: Harassmap, Egypt (HMP)
* The Brazilian Virtual Herbarium: CRIA, Brazil(BVH)
* Strengthening the Economic Committee of the National Assembly in Vietnam: Centre for Analysis and Forecasting, Vietnam (ECV)
* The Impact of Copyright User Rights: Derechos Digitales, Columbia (DED)
* Establishing a clearinghouse for tobacco economic data in Africa: DataFirst, South Africa (TED)
* Les problèmes négligés des systèmes de santé en Afrique : une incitation aux réformes: LASDEL, Niger (NDF)
* Indigenous Knowledge in Climate Change: Natural Justice, South Africa (IKC)
More details will be found in the Case Studies and in the Final Report (forthcoming at https://riojournal.com/collection/18/)
* Neylon C, Chan L (2016) Exploring the opportunities and challenges of implementing open research strategies within development institutions. Research Ideas and Outcomes 2: e8880. https://doi.org/10.3897/rio.2.e8880
* Neylon C (2017) Data Management Plan: IDRC Data Sharing Pilot Project. Research Ideas and Outcomes 3: e14672. https://doi.org/10.3897/rio.3.e14672
* Neylon C, Chan L (2016-17) Exploring the opportunities and challenges of implementing open research strategies within development institutions: A project of the International Development Research Center, Research Ideas and Outcomes Collection, https://riojournal.com/collection/18/