This table shows a schematic overview of the most common publication business models currently used in science publishing, with a special focus on Gold OA, Transformative Agreements, and Diamond OA in the context of Plan S.
- Gold OA using Article Processing Charges (APCs): involving commercial / society publishers, and Overlay Journals
- Transformative agreements: Read-And-Publish (RAP) and Publish-And-Read (PAR) agreements
- Diamond OA (Library-supported): SCOAP3 and Subscribe to Open (S2O)
- Closed: Subscription and Subscription plus Self-Archiving using Rights Retention
For each business model, the table lists the following properties:
- Who pays?
- How much?
- Who can read (i.e., who has read / use access)?
- Who can publish (i.e., whose publishing costs are covered)?
- Is the business model Plan S compliant?
- Expected cost evolution
Note: the expected cost evolution reflects the author’s personal opinion.