Software Open Access
Anton von Schantz
Research code and data used in von Schantz & Ehtamo. Minimizing the evacuation time of a crowd from a complex building using rescue guides. arXiv:2007.00509 [physics.soc-ph]. 2020. (submitted manuscript).
The paper presents a procedure for solving the minimum time evacuation from a complex building using rescue guides, and this repository is its implementation. The crowd is modeled with the physics-inspired agent-based social force model. The solution procedure is a combined numerical simulation and genetic algorithm (GA). The GA iteratively searches for the optimal evacuation plan, while numerical simulations are used to evaluate candidate evacuation plans.
The numerical evacuation simulations are implemented in Python and the GA as Bash scripts that were run on a high performance computing cluster. It should be noted that the procedure is currently computationally very demanding. The repository includes codes for the GA, evacuation simulation and its graphical user interface. For further implementation information, see the associated Github repository https://github.com/antonvs88/optimal-guided-evacuation.
The numerical evacuation simulation codes are based on Jaan Tollander de Balsch's codes https://github.com/jaantollander/crowddynamics and https://github.com/jaantollander/crowddynamics-qtgui, which he created working as a summer assistant in our research group in Aalto University School of Science, Department of Mathematics and Systems Analysis years 2016 and 2017.
The folders in the repository:
* crowddynamics-simulation contains files for running the GUI
* crowddynamics-qtgui contains the files that build the GUI
* crowddynamics contains all files for simulating the movement of a crowd
* data includes simulation data from running the genetic algorithm
* genetic algorithm includes files to run the genetic algorithm
* simulation files includes files specific for the simulating the conference building and hexagon-shaped area
Note! Some necessary files where missing in the earlier versions. Version 1.2 has all the files needed.