Aero-elastic dynamic model capable of modeling the X-ROTOR
The current version of the Aero-Elastic Dynamic Modelling tool, as described in this report, is able to (text from the description of Task 2.1 in italic):
- model the complex geometry of the X-Rotor (primary rotor)
- assess the deformations of the blades under unsteady loading and the effect of localised forces due to the small rotors.
- simulate the unsteady aerodynamics of the rotor.
- structurally model the rotor with linear beam elements.
- be coupled to an aerodynamic model for VAWTs: an actuator cylinder model, for fast load simulation.
The aeroelastic model has been validated using wind tunnel data from a VAW.
The aerodynamic model was used to calculate the loads and performance of the X-Rotor’s primary rotor. The data is uploaded along with the report and distributed to project partners. This document also supports the shared simulation results database. The outcomes include normal operational conditions as well as extreme loads in stand-still situations. The source code and simulation files will be made available upon request for the duration of the X-Rotor project, and made available in an open repository upon conclusion of the project. The model can support the X-Rotor project’s immediate planned activities. As described in Task 2.1, the model will be further developed in the project, both as part of Task 2.1 and in conjunction with other tasks.