Open Environmental Data Analysis (EGU 2018 PICO)
Open Science is a major movement in openness, availability, and transparency spanning Open Access, Open Data, Reproducible Research, Free and Open Source Software (FOSS), and Open-source Hardware. Free to use platforms supporting Open Science become more recognised and are FOSS themselves, such as Zenodo (https://zenodo.org), Binder (http://mybinder.org/), and senseBox (https://sensebox.de/en).
We present an open environmental data analysis building on all these projects. A central R Markdown (http://rmarkdown.rstudio.com/) document provides a recipe for data retrieval, analysis, and visualisation with R (https://r-project.org). Docker (https://docker.com) and Rocker (http://rocker-project.org/) provide a portable transparent and reproducible computational environment which can be opened easily on Binder.
We demonstrate an open analysis workflow for environmental data utilising numerous Open X projects, showcasing the potential of latest technology and potentially a template towards development of more open practices.
Full conference abstract: https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/EGU2018-17461.pdf
- https://github.com/nuest/sensebox-binder (URL)
- 10.5281/zenodo.1139929 (DOI)
- Is supplemented by
- https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/EGU2018-17461.pdf (URL)
- Boettiger, C. and D. Eddelbuettel, 2017. An Introduction to Rocker: Docker Containers for R. The R Journal, RJ-2017-065.
- Nüst, D., Konkol, M., Pebesma, E., Kray, C., Schutzeichel, M., Przibytzin, H., Lorenz, J. Opening the Publication Process with Executable Research Compendia. D-Lib Magazine. 2017. doi: 10.1045/january2017-nuest
- Pérez, F., Granger, B., and Ragan‐Kelley, B., 2017. Binder: enabling sharing and publication of reproducible computational research. https://figshare.com/s/e9d0ad7bdc4e405cccfa, https://mybinder.org
- Pfeil, M., Bartoschek, T., and Wirwahn, J.,2015. OpenSenseMap – A Citizen Science Platform for Publishing and Exploring Sensor Data as Open Data. FOSS4G Conference Proceedings, pp. 122-139, Seoul, 2015.
- Wirwahn, J. and Bartoschek, T., 2015. Usability Engineering for Successful Open Citizen Science. FOSS4G Conference Proceedings, pp. 68-78, Seoul, 2015.