Space Vocabularies: Research, Development, Alignment, and Formalization (RAFD) in Astronomy and Astronautics
Applying conceptual, terminological, semantic, and ontological analysis to spaceflight and space sciences such as astronomy, the author describes their Space Knowledge Organization and Modeling project. With origins in 2011, the project conducts research and development of vocabularies and other knowledge organization systems (KOS) for astronautics and astronomy related topics. Specific research and activities include knowledge representation and reasoning, and other modeling and formalization processes. The ongoing development of domain and application specific vocabularies, other KOS, and proposed standards will be introduced. Alignment or harmonization of these systems, including external existing systems and relevant (inter)national standards, is another project track and goal. The concept of knowledge networks in relation to so-called knowledge commons, among other concepts such as FAIR and contemporary AI techniques, will likewise be summarized. In all, the project hopes to support and innovate for space data, sciences, and activities, and help address challenges therein. The project and author are actively open to formal support, including patrons, partners, work and study opportunities to sustainably pursue this promising line of research. Interested parties are encouraged to make contact.
1. Space Domain Knowledge Organization and Modeling, https://ontospace.wordpress.com
2. "Research & development in Astronautical Terminology – A project summary and call for support", R.J. Rovetto, 73rd International Astronautical Congress, Adelaide, Australia, 2017.
3. "Orbital Debris Ontology, Terminology, and Knowledge Modeling", R.J. Rovetto, T.S. Kelso, and D.A. O'Neil. 1st International Orbital Debris Conference. December 2019. In NASA TRS. In Journal of Space Safety Engineering (Sept, 2020).
4. "An Ontological Architecture for Orbital Debris Data", R.J. Rovetto, (2015) Earth Science Informatics, 9(1), 67-82.
5. "Preliminary Results of the International Astronautical Federation Space Traffic Management Technical Committee #26 Working Group on Terminology" (2021),
Rovetto, Oltrogge, Strah, Skinner, Mark, Laurent, Lacroix, Kumar, Grattan, Alonso. In 11th IAASS Conference – Managing Risk in Space.
6. "An Ontology-Based Virtual Orrery" Dr. D.A. O'Neil, R.J.Rovetto, NASA Technical Memorandum (2017-2021).
Addition of presentation slides
Rovetto Robert - SPACE - SESSION 9 - v3.pdf
- Is referenced by
- Event: 10.5281/zenodo.10052531 (DOI)