Project deliverable Open Access
Deliverable D4.4 “Open Science Publication Technologies” is a software deliverable. It presents the Agricultural and Food Models Journal (AFMJ) (Fig. 1) in the context of stimulating open science and open data publishing.
The concept of “open science” refers to a whole range of issues around opening up the research cycle, the most important of which are: (1) Open access, (2) Open data, (3) Free and Open-source software, (4) Reproducible research, (5) Open peer-review, (6) Open science policies, (7) Open funding, (8) Open science evaluation, (9) Open science tools and (10) Open education. Among these, open publication of scientific results, data, software and other research objects is at the forefront of the open science
Within the AGINFRA+ project a new journal – the Agricultural and Food Modelling Journal (AFMJ) – will be launched to catalyse the publication of research data in the field, as well as in an attempt to stimulate other publications from across the research cycle including software descriptions, model descriptions, data management plans and others.
The journal will draw and build on existing technologies such as the ARPHA Journal Publishing Platform and the ReFindit tools designed to answer the needs of the rapidly developing open access, open data an open science trends in sharing and reusing scientific results. ARPHA is the first of its kind end-to-end publishing solution specifically developed to support fully XML workflows, automated data import and dissemination tools, novel article templates and other features stimulating open science.
In the first 12 months of the project the concept and functionalities of the journal have been discussed and continuously developed to allow for plans to be put in place in terms of:
- Focus and Scope – draft text available, to be updated prior to launch.
- Design and graphic identity – journal logo designed, ongoing discussions on suggested journal website design
- Templates – innovative article formats decided, possibility to add new due to the dynamic nature of ARPHA.
- Metadata standards and mapping - AFMJ will adhere to these standards taking into account described structure and requirements of FSK-ML while building its article templates and metadata requirements.
- Journal introduction plan – preliminary marketing activities planned.
- Journal launch in 2018
- Templates continuously updated
- Marketing strategy updated and executed
The deliverable has been created on the public space of the AGINFRA+ Wiki and is accessible through the following link: